Organic products are a result of a strictly controlled method of production that is regulated by law and is called organic production.
Organic products are safe, do not contain artificial materials and synthetic chemical pesticides. Due to this, they are healthier and have higher nutritional value. Research show that organic products contain up to 63% more potassium, 73% more iron, 125% more calcium and 60% more zinc than products that are a result of conventional methods of production.
Due to the methods and process that are in harmony with nature, organic products have greater life force and energy which are directly responsible for our immune system, the process of regeneration and keeping the human body vital. This is even of a greater importance in children’s diet.
Why organic products?
- They do not pollute the environment (water, air or soil).
- They are based on the use of existing biological relations and interaction within the natural environment (biological cycles, maintaining biodiversity).
- They maintain the ecological balance in nature.
- They use sustainable energy sources.
The advantages of organic food
- Food quality and safety – organic food has higher biological and nutritional values that manifests in the increased level of vitamins, minerals, calcium, magnesium, iron, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- This food contains no remains of pesticides and heavy metals.
- Genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their products are totally banned in organic production.
- The food does not contain artificial additives, preservatives, emulsifiers, artificial colors, aroma or flavor intensifiers.
- There are no remains of antibiotics, growth regulators and other feed medication.
- Organic products have a specific taste, aroma and colour characteristic of a particular sort. This is commonly called “the long-forgotten taste of countryside food”.
How to recognize organic products
Given that there are still no shops exclusively specified for selling organic products, regardless whether you shop in hypermarkets or health food stores, we suggest you to pay attention that the products bear the label “organic food” as well as the logo of the certification company that is responsible for monitoring the process of production. In Serbia, the Ministry of Agriculture is the warrantor that provides a guarantee that every product that has this label is produced by the principles of organic farming.
Also, there is a specific label for products that haven’t gained the status of organic products yet due to the fact that their production is undergoing a period of conversion. Such products are not completely organic, however, they are on their way to turning organic and are labeled with the logo for conversion to organic production.